Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
– George Bernard Shaw
- Organizer and PC Member
- Talks, Demos, Tutorials
- Grants and Awards
- Training and Development
Organizer and PC Member
- Program committee member for ACM ISS 2017.
- Technical program committee member for ACM Multimedia 2017 Ubiquitous Multimedia Track.
- Program committee member for IEEE VR 2017 Workshop on Perceptual and Cognitive Issues in AR (PERCAR).
- Program committee member for ACM VRST 2016.
- Program committee member for ACM CHI 2016 Late-Breaking Work.
- Program committee member for IEEE ISMAR 2016.
- Program committee member for International Workshop on Multimodal Virtual & Augmented Reality (MVAR) 2016.
- Program committee member for ENTER eTourism conference 2017.
- Program committee member for IEEE ISMAR 2016 Workshop on Collaboration in Mixed Reality Environments (CoMiRe).
- Program committee member for IEEE VR 2016 Workshop on Perceptual and Cognitive Issues in AR (PERCAR).
- Program committee member for the ACM Multimedia Systems 2016 Conference (MMSys) special session on Augmented Reality.
- Demo co-chair for ISMAR 2016.
- Program committee member for MUM 2015.
- Program committee member for ISMAR 2015.
- Workshop and Tutorial co-chair for ISMAR 2015.
- Conference chair of the Winter Augmented Reality Meeting (WARM) 2015 , February 2015.
- Organizer of the ISMAR2014 tutorial on calibration of optical see-through head-mounted displays.
- Organizer of NordiCHI 2014 workshop on Interactions and Applications for See-
Through Technologies together with Jonna Häkkilä, Thomas Olsson, Ashley Colley and Thomas Pederson, October 2014.
- Program committee member of the Siggraph Asia 2014 Symposium in Mobile Graphics and Interactive Applications, August 2014.
- Conference chair of the Winter Augmented Reality Meeting (WARM) 2014 together with Hartmut Seichter, February 2014.
- Organizer of MobileHCI 2013 Workshop on Designing Mobile Augmented Reality together with Hartmut Seichter and Tobias Langlotz, September 2013.
- ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), since 2011
- ACM User Interface Software and Technology Symposium (UIST), since 2014
- IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR), since 2010
- IEEE Virtual Reality Conference (IEEE VR), since 2011
- IEEE Symposium on Spatial User Interaction (IEEE SUI), since 2015
- ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI), since 2011
- IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces, 2011, 2013
- ACM Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST), 2013
- ACM conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS), 2014
- The Eurographics Conference on Visualization (EuroVis), 2013, 2014
- International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces (AVI), since 2012
- International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM), since 2012
- International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI), since 2013
- IEEE Transaction on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), since 2015
- Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI), since 2012
- Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2014
- ICAT-EVGE International Conference on Artificial Reality and Telexistence an Eurographics Symposium on Virtual Environments, 2015
- Computer Graphics and Applications, 2015
- Augmented Human, 2015
- GeoInformatica, since 2015
- International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (IJHCS), since 2016
- Computer & Graphics, since 2016
Talks, Demos and Tutorials
- Talk on Towards Collaborative Ad-Hoc Cross Media Interaction at the IEEE ISMAR Workshop on Collaboration in Mixed Reality, September 2014.
- Demo on User Perspective Augmented Reality for Public Displays at IEEE ISMAR 2014, September 2014.
- Talk about Towards Magic Lenses for Ad hoc Public Display Interaction at the joint EPFL, TU Graz workshop on Augmented Reality, Castle St. Martin, Graz. June 2014.
- Talk on Experiences with Mobile Augmented Reality Evaluations in-the-wild at the Winter Augmented Reality Meeting (WARM) 2013, February 2013.
- Demo on AR Gaming at public posters at Winter Augmented Reality Meeting (WARM) 2012, February 2012.
- Demo on SmartReality at I-Semantics 2012, September 2012.
- Talk on SmartReality: Making Posters Smart with Augmented Reality and Semantic Web Technologies. University of Technology Graz. Knowledge Management Institute, January 2012.
- Demo on SmartReality at IEEE ISMAR 2011, October 2011.
- Talk on Augmented Reality Interfaces for Consumer Apps. ScandAR2011 at Aalborg University. Department for Architecture, Design & Media Technology, December 2011
This 4 year EU FP7 funded IP project, which started in September 2013, aims at making authoring of location-based aims accessible for non-programmers. Within this project I deal with novel ways for authoring Augmented Reality content and with context-aware mobile user interfaces for Augmented Reality. In addition, I serve as a work package manager for the integration of a mobile client platform.
In this EU FP7 funded IP project I investigated the benefits and drawbacks of handheld Augmented Reality applications in tourism domains from 2012-2013.
The project was a 2 year FFG funded R&D activity running from 2010-2012 with the goal to create Augmented Reality content which is automatically updated by using semantic content sources such as DBPedia.
From 2008-2010 I developed and evaluated novel methods for the See-Through-Calibration and adjustment of
Augmented Reality head-mounted displays.
project website (German)
From 2008-2010 I evaluated the impact of mobile Augmented Reality based worker assistant systems in long term use. Specifically we were interested in understanding physiological effects of head-mounted displays in industrial settings.
Grants and Awards
- Honorable Mention for Best Paper Award at IEEE 3DUI 2017 for Adaptive User Perspective Rendering for Handheld Augmented Reality.
- Recipient for BaCaTec exchange program INTERMUDE (INTERactive Multi-Display Environments) (4.000 €), 2016.
- Co-writer for EU FP7 integrated project MAGELLAN ICT-FP7-611526, 6.7 million € requested total EU contribution, 2013.
- Co-writer for open call to EU FP7 integrated project EXPERIMEDIA ICT-FP7-287966, 87 thousand € requested total EU contribution, 2012.
Training and Development
I strive for continuous self-improvement with a focus on leadership, management and innovation. Below is a list of training programs I have successfully passed.
- Intercultural interaction for professionals (2014, Graz University of Technology)
- Teaching in English (active learning, 2014, Graz University of Technology)
- Cross-cultural communication (2014, Graz University of Technology)
- Didactics (2014, Graz University of Technology)
- Leading diverse teams (2014, Graz University of Technology)
- Leadership and management in practice (2014, Graz University of Technology)
- Business planning for researchers (2014, Science Park Graz)
- Horizon2020: the impact part in proposals (2014, Styrian business promotion agency)
- How to write a competitive proposal in Horizon 2020 (2014, Graz University of Technology)
- How managers think (2013, McKinsey)
- Financial management of funded R&D projects (2013)
- Leading technical teams (2013, Graz University of Technology)
- Presentation and rhetoric (2012, Graz University of Technology)
- Research funding: successfully applying to regional, national and international programs (2012)
- Managing conflict conversations constructively (2012, Graz University of Technology)
- Technology exploitation: from technology to sustainable growth (2010, Graz University of Technology)
I support the personal growth of people I work and live with. Below is a list of related volunteering activities.
Woman in Technology Styria
Since 2013 I am a mentor for the program „Woman in Technolgy Styria“ at Graz University of Technology, Austria. The project focuses on inspiring young woman for mathematics, computer science, natural science or engineering and and to raise the number of woman studying these fields. In the summer term I am regularly supervising interested woman in the field of mobile human computer interaction and augmented reality.
Board Member of fjp>media
From 2008-2010 I was board Member of fjp>media, the youth press organisation in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Our organisation supports young people with interest in journalism and new media technology through press cards, equipment lending and workshops. Furthermore, we organized yearly press trips to foreign countries like Chile and Vietnam.
Over the years I was able to collaborate with great people from diverse disciplines. Here is an extract of my collaborators in alphabetical order:
Elena Avatangelou (EXUS), Olivier Balet (Diginext), Mark Billinghurst (HitlabNZ), Irina Böckelmann (University hospital Magdeburg), Lars Erik Bolstad (Opera Software), Michael Boniface (IT Innovation Centre), Sheelagh Carpendale (University of Calgary), Ashley Colley (University of Oulu), Fabian Doil (Volkswagen), Nicolas Göll (Wikitude), Raphael Grasset (Qualcomm Inc.), Jonna Häkkila (University of Lapland), Mark Hancock (University of Waterloo), Anke Huckauf (University of Ulm), Tobias Isenberg (INRIA), Yuta Itoh (Technische Universität München ), Boriana Koleva (University of Nottingham) Tobias Langlotz (University of Otago), Vincent Lepetit (Graz University of Technology), Rüdiger Mecke (Fraunhofer IFF), Ann Morrison (Aalborg University), Alessandro Mulloni (Qualcomm Inc.), Lyndon Nixon (Modul University Vienna), Thomas Olsson (Tampere University of Technology), Michel Pahud (Microsoft Research Redmond), Thomas Pedersen (IT University of Copenhagen), Thibaut Prados (Diginext), Stephen Phillips (IT Innovation Centre), Aaron Quigley (University of St Andrews), Gerhard Reitmayr (Qualcomm Inc.), Lutz Schega (University hospital Magdeburg), Michael Schenk (Fraunhofer IFF), Dieter Schmalstieg (Graz University of Technology), Hartmut Seichter (University of Applied Sciences Schmalkalden), Johannes Tümler (Volkswagen Research), Mario Urbina (BMW), Dimitris Vassiliadis (EXUS), Eduardo Veas (Know Center), Jonathan Ventura (Graz University of Technology), Daniel Wagner (Qualcomm Inc.), Matt Watkins (Mudlark), Stefanie Zollmann (Animation Research Ltd)