Verification of paper documents is an important part of checking a person’s identity, authorization for access or simply establishing a trusted currency. Many documents such as passports or paper bills include holograms or other view-dependent elements that are difficult to forge and therefore are used to verify the genuineness of that document. View-dependent elements change their appearance based both on viewing direction and dominant light sources, thus it requires special knowledge and training to accurately distinguish original elements from forgeries. We present an interactive application for mobile devices that integrates the recognition of the documents with the interactive verification of view-dependent elements. The system recognizes and tracks the paper document, provides user guidance for view alignment and presents a stored image of the element’s appearance depending on the current view of the document also recording user decisions.
We describe how to model and capture the underlying spatially varying BRDF representation of view-dependent elements. Furthermore, we iteratevely developed multiple Augmented Reality user interfaces for laymen which guide the user through the verification process. We evaluate our approach within two user studies and demonstrate that such a setup captures images that are recognizable and that can be correctly verified.
- Andreas Hartl, Clemens Arth, Jens Grubert and Dieter Schmalstieg. Efficient Verification of Holograms Using Mobile Augmented Reality. In IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol.PP, no.99, pp.1-1 (to appear).
author’s version | doi
- Andreas Hartl, Jens Grubert, Christian Reinbacher, Clemens Arth and Dieter Schmalstieg. Mobile User Interfaces for Efficient Verification of Holograms. In Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality 2015. March 23-27, Arles, France (to appear).
preprint | video | slides
- Andreas Hartl, Jens Grubert, Gerhard Reitmayr and Dieter Schmalstieg. Mobile Interactive Hologram Verification. In Proceedings of the Twelths IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (IEEE ISMAR 2013). October 1-4, Adelaide, Australia (pp. 75-82).
pdf | video | slides
Filed Patents (in Publication)
- Aufnahme der SVBRDF von blickwinkelabhängigen Elementen mit mobilen Geräten (SVBRDF Capture of view-dependent elements with mobile devices)
- Verfahren zur Ausrichung an einer beliebigen Pose mit 6 Freitheitsgraden für AR Anwendungen
(Procedure for view-alignment to an arbitrary six degrees of freedom for Augmented Reality applications)